Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back to Ghana

This weekend, I had the opportunity to head back to Ghana! But this time, I was not with a van full of 'yovos'...actually I was the only yovo! I went up north to a town called Hoe with Victoria and Bright Gabla, two friends who work with me as translators on the ward.

The drive up north was uneventful (for once!) and I absolutely fell in love with their little village up in the mountains! It was so beautiful and peaceful..very few cars passing by on the dirt road that ran down the middle of the village. It was a nice change of pace from the fast, busy culture of Lome.

Victoria standing in the kitchen..notice the goats
are warming themselves by the fire :)


This weekend was a great opportunity to get away, relax, and experience 'real African culture.' I enjoyed making 'fufu' (a popular African food) with Bright and Victoria's mom, walking down the paths through the village with random goats and chickens roaming around, and meeting all the 'brothers' and 'aunties' that Bright wanted to introduce me to. This was especially funny to me because very few of them were actually related..they just all call each other that...at first, when he made the introductions, I would say 'Oh, that's your auntie' to which he responded 'Yes, of course.' Then I asked 'But is she really your auntie' to which he responded 'Well, we're not related by blood, but that's what we call each other...By the end of all the visits to all the different people in the town, I would jokingly look at Bright and say 'Let me guess...she's your auntie?' and he would just laugh and tell me I was right....I just love the culture in Africa and the way everyone is family!

Pounding the fufu


The final product...best fufu I've had yet!
(I can't take credit though..I barely did anything)


One of the highlights of this weekend was going to church with the Gablas. On sunday morning, I started to unpack my church clothes and Victoria looked at me and said 'I don't think you'll need those'...'What do you mean,' I asked. 'Well, mom has a surprise for you today,' Victoria exclaimed with childlike excitement. She was so excited for me to open the 'surprise.' A few minutes later, their mom came in and laid out a beautiful pink African skirt and top that they had made for me! I was so touched by their generosity and thoughtfulness in having an entire African outfit made for me! It is actually very common in the African culture to make an outfit for a friend who is visiting, so when Bright and Victoria found out I was going to come with them to their village, they called their mom so she could have the tailor make something for me!

My pink African outfit (with Victoria)


Church was absolutely amazing! I'm sad to say that I didn't bring my camera with me because I would've loved to show you pictures of the amazing choir all decked out in their black and white robes, accompanied by their matching caps. They looked like college graduates with their tassles dangling from their caps. The music was amazing and the choir sounded amazing! I am always so blown away by how beautiful and loud African voices sound! I just love watching them sing their hearts out to the Lord!

The church service wouldn't have been complete if there wasn't some dancing to go along with the music! I just love dancing in church! There are occasionally conga lines and what we like to call 'the chicken move', which involves a lot of movement of the arms and shoulders, making a person look very similar to a chicken. It's always a little bit amusing doing it but the Africans just love seeing 'yovos' doing their moves! I can't help but laugh every time I dance 'African style.' The whole church was full of joy as the songs were sung and men, women, and children all danced before the Lord....such a beautiful picture of what I think it will be like in heaven...sheer unashamed worship and rejoicing!

Sunday afternoon, we visited the 'village chief' who somehow, ironically were also related to Bright and Victoria :) It was interesting to see the accomodations for the village chief and to get to know him and his wife a bit. Thankfully, the chief spoke some English, which was nice for me, since I speak very little Ewe (I'm working on my French first, then maybe I'll move to local dialects!)

Victoria & I with the "chief" and his wife


After our visit to the chief's house, we had to head back to the ship (Lome is about a 4 hour ride from Hoe). I was sad to say goodbye to the Gabla family, but was warmly invited to come back again...hopefully I will get to visit one more time before we sail in August!

The Gabla Family

No comments: