Thursday, March 11, 2010

The candy cane princess

Her shy, sweet smile could win your heart in an instant...she is very quiet, but always watching and always aware of what is going on in the ward..not to mention, she is the perfect little patient and always does what she's asked...so it was sad to hear 8-year old Mako's story...

After she was born, Mako's mother left her in the garbage...like so many other children in Africa who are born with deformities, she was unwanted...but she wasn't even abandoned on a church step or at an orphanage...she was left in the trash...thankfully, God had a plan for Mako's life and she was found by nuns..She now has an adoptive mother who loves her and takes care of her...

I don't know if Mako knows about her past, but as I cared for her this week, I did my best to communicate to her that she is precious and loved....Mako came to the ship to get her bow legs straightened out...so, after surgery, she had both legs propped up on pillows...when the team came in to reinforce her casts, they decided it would be nice to make it colorful, so they used red over the white...problem was, they ran out of red on the second leg, so they decided to make her right leg red and white striped...just like a candy cane...thankfully, Mako liked the design and I resolved to call her my little "candy-cane princess" after that...

She is one precious little girl and I'm so thankful that I got to share lots of laughs and smiles with her...while the story of her past is a sad one, it is encouraging to know that she has a bright future ahead of her...here are some pictures of me and my little candy cane princess out on Deck 7...

Mako trying to figure out the camera


Check out the candy cane princess & her casts :)

No sad faces...or I'll have to tickle you Mako!


Such a little sweetheart


2 comments:

Evy said...

That is so sad. What a sweet little girl. Just like a candy cane= sweet!

Kassie Anne said...

Wow Becca. What a precious story. It is an amazing gift to see you giving her the love Christ has given you to overflow on her! It made me cry and smile at the same time!