Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tiger Time at Chiang Mai

Well today was a really fun day! Andrea and I headed up to Chiang Mai to go to the Tiger Kingdom...they just opened it last year, so I didn't get to go the last time I was in Thailand. On the way to the bus station, Terra and Teep (our friends who live here in Thailand) told us that a girl got bit in the butt by one of the tigers earlier this year...so that wasn't very reassuring, but I was still excited to go...The tiger kingdom is a lot of fun...Basically you choose which tigers you want to go in and see...First, Andrea and I went to see the baby tigers...they were a couple months old and were basically like big cats...it's fun because they let you lay your head on their stomach and take pictures. One even crawled on my lap and put it's head on my leg like it wanted to take a little nap...it was so cute. We had fun with the babies and right as we were about to leave, another girl who was in there with us got pooped on by one of the tigers! It was hilarious! She was freaking out and we were just laughing...thankful that it didn't happen to us!







Later, we went to see the big tigers...The trainers told us that they weigh over 100 kilos (more than 200 pounds)...it made me a little bit nervous being in there with those huge tigers, petting them and taking pictures with them when you know they could bite you or attack you...they were all pretty mellow, but if they get playful, they don't know any better. It was funny because one of the guys that took us in to see them had scratches on his arm. We asked if it was from the tigers and he said yes. Then we asked if they ever bit him and he said "oh yes, many times! But they are just playing so they don't know any better. You can't blame them." That was pretty reassuring. What makes you feel the most comfortable is that all they carry around in there are these small sticks...I was thinking "yeah, right. If the tiger attacked anyone, there's no way that stick is gonna do anything." But even though Andrea and I were both a tiny bit nervous, I figured we'd be fine..I really wanted to play with them and lay down on their stomachs like the ilttle ones but I didn't want to take my chances, so we were a little more careful with them.




After getting back from the Tiger Village, I came back and took a nap while Andrea went out for dinner. I was feeling really tired and a little sick and just needed a nap...whenever we go to Mexico, they always say "Don't drink the water" but I didn't obey that rule earlier when we were out to eat. They served the water in a pitcher with the food and I've drank it like that a few times before and been fine, but this time, it really hit me hard and made me sick. After taking a nap I felt a lot better though and had enough energy to go out to the night bazaar with Andrea. The night bazaar is a pretty crazy place. Al the action starts around 7pm...and all these people set up their little stands on the side of the road selling all kinds of different fun souveniors....There are lots of foreigners and it's a big tourist attraction. It's fun to look at the different Thai stuff and barter a little...and of course, shopping is always fun in general..especially with a friend! So Andrea and I had a really good time and found some fun stuff...and even found some mango sticky rice (which is our favorite). Tomorrow we'll head back to Mae Sot to see Teep and Terra and then friday we'll head to the school where we used to teach to see the kids! It should be a lot of fun!

No comments: