Monday, June 7, 2010

Love in any language

There's an old song that talks about "love in any language" and how people can understand and communicate love no matter where we are in the world. Being in Togo has been a very different experience for me in comparison with the familiar culture and language of all the places I've traveled to in Latin America over the last few years. It's always been easy for me in places like Mexico and the Dominican Republic, where I was familiar with the culture and able to speak the language. But, I think that the language barrier in Togo has been good for me in a lot of ways. It has taught me to "listen" in other ways outside of just hearing a person's words...watching their facial expressions, tone of voice, and body langauge. And it has also taught me how to communicate in creative ways when I don't speak the language.

So far, I wouldn't say I have learned a ton of French, but I've learned enough to communicate the important things I need to know when I'm traveling or taking care of patients..the phrases I use on the ward probably wouldn't be very useful anywhere else...ie: swallow your medicine, did you poop today (I even know how to say that one in the local dialect!), are you having pain, etc :)

But, I am learning that whether I'm in the wards or out and about in town, the most important thing people listen to isn't our words, but our actions and what we communicate to them by the way we live.
Tonight, I went to a place where I didn't hear much French or Ewe (the local dialect). We went to a place where there wasn't a whole lot of speaking at all....I went with a group from the ship to visit a local deaf school. It was fun to sit with the kids, help them with their crafts, play soccer with the little boys (I was wearing a skirt too...which is always interesting!) and just practicing the language of love. It really doesn't take a lot...just a little hug, a high five (or even better, learning their secret handshake!), or even just a smile...showing the kids that we love them and care about them...

It's easy to go through our busy lives and forget the simple things...but those are the things that really say the most....I know I am one of those people that always has a lot to say...but I am reminded that the most important thing I really need to communicate is love...because after all God is love and that's the reason I'm here...to show others that there is a God who loves us so much that he gave up everything...even His own son to be with us...it didn't take Jesus a lot of words to communicate love...he stretched out his arms and died...and I can stretch out my arms and embrace those who are hurting and in need...no words are necessary...just a little love.

1 comment:

One Blessed Family said...

Well said. Jamie actually spoke about the very subject about a week ago and how the strongest indicator that we are followers of Christ is by our love.