Monday, February 1, 2010

Sailing

Well, yesterday began our 10 day voyage out on the open seas! It was sad to say goodbye to Tenerife...we all enjoyed it there...I especially liked that I could use my Spanish on the island and that it didn't seem too far from the familiar (it's part of Europe so it's pretty westernized)...We even had a day at the beach on Saturday, which was really nice...I'm eager to get to Togo now and start caring for patients though...My last week on the ship has been mostly helping out where needed (which ended up being the dining room...I really enjoyed working with everyone there!) and this week is all nursing orientation and prepping the ship for the medical outreach.


Getting ready to sail!


      Me and some friends out on the bow


Some of my favorite kiddos on the ship



The sail has been smooth so far...it's kind of crazy not being in sight of land, but I love watching the ocean...I had a great first night on the sail...got to watch the sunset with a friend, then walked out on deck to take in the ocean air last night and stumbled upon a group singing worship songs and playing guitar...they invited me to join them and we had a nice time of worship...

       Sunrise in Tenerife before we sailed away


There was a full moon for the first night of the sail too...I found a hammock tied between two of the Landrovers (they're all tied down on the top deck) and enjoyed a nice relaxing time before bed laying in the hammock listening to music and spending some time with Jesus...I even saw a shooting star as I was laying out there...it was great to have some personal time...

    The picture didn't capture the beauty,
but still looked amazing



It can be hard to find time alone on the ship since there are constantly people around and there is always something to do...my friends laugh at me because if I leave to go get something from my cabin, it usually takes me awhile to make my way back since I always seem to run into people and do a little socializing...I've been told that I was "meant for ship life" since I love being around people so much...But it is always good to have some time with God to re-focus...It's so important to be reminded of why I'm here and WHO I'm serving!

     Me & my new roommate Ruth on the sail


Well, this week should be pretty uneventful with the sail...keep us in your prayers for a smooth and safe sail and no seasickness...Thanks for all the love & prayers!

No comments: