Monday, August 19, 2013

From doctors to deckies

One of the great things about working with Mercy Ships is that during each sail, the nurses get to work in different departments outside of the hospital. I have alternated between the dining room, galley, sales, and housekeeping on my previous seven sails. It is always great to learn more about other departments and get to know the people who work there. With each new position, i have gained an increased appreciation for the work that each department does. During this last sail, I had a unique opportunity to do something I have wanted to do for a long time...I got to work in the Deck department! So I left working with doctors and nurses to go work with the deckies. I traded in my scrubs for coveralls, set down my stethoscope and picked up a pair of earplugs, exchanged my crocs for steel-toed boots and got to work. 

It's always a little bit intimidating to start working in a new job..especially when you're surrounded by a bunch of tough guys who aren't sure that they want to hand you a needle gun or paint brush before seeing that you can prove yourself. But thankfully it didn't take too long to earn their respect and I got to know some really awesome people in the meantime. I was also really grateful that my friend Romina, who is also a nurse had already transferred to deck and could show me the ropes. 


Enjoying some outdoor painting in the middle of the ocean



Although I only got to work on deck for the two weeks that we were sailing, it was a really awesome experience and I learned a lot! The guys did a great job including me and helping me feel like I was a part of the team. From letting me participate in the training on how to drop the anchor to helping with the mooring lines to mastering the needle gun, there was always something new and exciting going on. I had a really great time during my shifts on watch at the bridge as well! I served as a lookout and learned the official sailor lingo and got to steer the ship at the helm as well! Occasionally we would spot whales and dolphins during our watch which was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed the guys on my watch and was grateful for their patience and good sense of humor. 


Working on the bridge







I had a very different experience than usual for our arrival in Point Noire. Instead of watching the arrival ceremony on the dock from Deck 7, I was operating the wench for the aft mooring lines and helping to secure the ship as we came into port. We could hear the music playing as we pulled into the port and could sense the excitement of the Congolese people. We had finally arrived! 

After all the mooring lines were secured, I headed down to the dock with a couple of the guys to drop in our Yokohama fenders (the huge tire-looking thing that goes in the water between the ship and dock to keep us from bumping into the side of the dock and scraping off all our paint). The ship had been bumping into the side of the dock from the time we arrived, causing some uncomfortable bumps, so we knew everyone would be much happier once they were in. After dropping each Yokohama down with the crane, we pushed them into the water and pulled them along with a thick steel wire...Let me just stop here and say that this was where having muscles came in handy. Up until this point, the guys had told me I didn't need to prove myself and show how strong I was. My Ukranian friend Victor would tell me "Becca, women don't need to be strong...only beautiful." But this was the one time that I really needed to be strong . So after pushing the Yokohamas into the water, we pulled the steel wire with all the strength that we had and managed to get each one to the correct position. It sort of felt like a big game of tug-of-war and even though it was very exhausting, I really enjoyed it. I think the crew were especially thankful once we got them in place too because the ship was no longer bumping into the side of the dock.

I have to admit that arrival day was much more exhausting than usual for me this time, but I was really grateful to have played a part in the work that took place on deck. By the end of the day, we were all tired and ready for the weekend, but a part of me was sad knowing that it was my last day in the Deck department. The following week, the Deck department had a special ice cream party to honor the nurses who had come to work on deck during the time the hospital was closed (myself and two other girls). We were left with many kind words from the deckies and officers who told us that we had proved to be more than just nurses. The Deck department now has a special place in my heart and I can honestly say it was the best reassignment I have ever had! 


Me & my Ukranian friends from Deck
Left to right: Big Sergei, Georgy, Victor, Genna, & little Sergei





No comments: