Monday, May 28, 2012

Finding hope

Over the last couple weeks, it has been great to be back on the ship and working on the wards. I have been working in D Ward with the maxillo-facial patients, which is quite different than the orthopedic and plastics patients I was caring for last year. Thankfully, the experience I had in caring for max/fax patients in 2010 has slowly come back to me and it all doesn't feel so foreign anymore.

One of the amazing things that I love about Max/Fax is that there is such a drastic visible difference after large tumors are removed...and the infamous Dr. Gary Parker who does the surgeries comes by not only to check on how the patients are doing, but also to offer words of encouragement and inspiration to the staff. And we also have the most children on our ward!

One of the little ones who recently captured my heart was Gloria. Gloria had a large tumor on her right eye known as Retinoblastoma. I've taken care of kids in the States who have had this, but had never seen it as large as Gloria's. The day she came in to have surgery, things were all a bit of a whirlwind. Typically, we admit patients the day before surgery, but Gloria came in the same morning of her surgery. So, the minute she got to the ward, we had to rush to get everything done to prepare her for the OR, as she was the first case.

After finding out about my surprise admission, I tried to keep Gloria as calm as possible as I drew her blood and scrubbed her down in the shower with our special surgical soap. In spite of my efforts to be as gentle and friendly as possible, Gloria did nothing but cry. I'm sure she was terrified....and rightfully so. I imagine that the typical four-year old boarding a big ship for the first time, being surrounded by strangers with a different color skin who speak a different language and stick needles into their body would be scared out of their mind. So in spite of my colorful kid-friendly scrubs, distraction toys, and calming techniques, there was very little hope for me that Gloria and I would become friends. We finished up all the pre-operative cares and I walked down with Gloria and her momma to the entrance of the operating room corridor. We met the OR nurse and said a prayer together for Gloria and her surgery. As the OR nurse carried our frightened little one to the operating room, Gloria's mother gave me a big hug. Her little girl was going to have another chance at living a normal life.

Gloria's surgery took several hours and my shift ended before she had returned to the ward. But, a couple days later, I was reunited with that sweet little one...but, this time she didn't have a frightened look on her face. She was playing happily with a smile on her face. She let me look at her new eye and when I made a fishy face, she leaned in to give me a fishy kiss. I couldn't believe it. I was sure she would hate me for torturing her when she had first arrived....but kids are so forgiving. But we were friends now and she became my little shadow. Over the next several days, Gloria and I had fun together with bubbles, playdough, piggy-back rides, and storytime. When I would come back from my dinner break, the other nurses would tell me they were happy to see me because Gloria needed some entertainment.

Gloria and I on Deck 7



Gloria was healing up nicely and her momma had completed all the teaching she needed for home, so within a week, little Gloria was ready for discharge. I was sad to see her leave. Who would hang onto my legs during handover and beg me to read them a story now? Even though I selfishly wanted to keep her on the ward, I knew it was time for her to go home. I gave her one last hug and kiss and said goodbye. She no longer saw me as a scary yovo, but as a friend. And I was grateful for the opportunity to witness a beautiful transformation and the visible hope that she and her momma now have.

No comments: