Sunday, August 28, 2011

Free from fever

Over the last week, fever has been an ongoing theme on the ward. One particular patient, Alpha, has had fevers for that entire week. Yesterday when I took care of him, it was as though he were holding his breath every single time he was waiting to hear me tell him the thermometer reading. He was so discouraged and beginning to seem a bit hopeless.

So, tonight, as we were having handover, I felt like God was promting me to pray for Alpha, but I just prayed in my heart instead of praying out loud in the group. When I opened my eyes, Alpha was standing there next to our little circle of nurses, listening to us pray. At that point, I realized that I needed to be obedient and take some time to pray for him. So, I had Alpha come to the middle of the circle and we laid hands on him and said a prayer of healing over his body and against the fevers.

All through the night, I said a prayer each time I had to check Alpha's temperature. The tylenol and ibuprofen had worn off, but each time, his temperature was normal. I began to see the hope in his eyes once again. It had been a long week for him and finally he was starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It's amazing how much we miss out on when we forget to pray. I was reminded of the promise that Jesus gave us: "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" (Matthew 7:7)....He wants to answer us...we just have to do our part and ask.

No comments: