Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A new identity

Since my first trip to Africa, I've been doing my best to embrace African culture. When we arrived in Sierra Leone, I determined that I would do my best to fit into the culture here. I've been learning a bit of Krio, trying out some of the local foods, traveling the way a lot of the locals travel (poda-poda buses), and doing what I can to learn the culture. So, when one of our translators offered to braid my hair with extensions, I thought it would be another great way to become a bit more African.


So, after seven hours with Edwina, a lot of great conversations, a stiff neck and a few mosquito bites, I had a new look (and somewhere near 150 braids).The patients loved the braids and told me "Now you are African!" All the patients and translators starting calling me "Bioncé" because apparently they all think I look like an actress from Ghana who has a similar personality and face. (I personally don't see the resemblance, but all of them do). They had called me "Biance" before, but once I braided my hair, it really caught on and very few patients still called me by my real name. I was very amused by the whole thing and got used to answering to "Bioncé." One day, I was walking through the market and a random person I didn't know shouted "Bioncé!" as I passed by. So I guess there must be some sort of resemblance with the actress, even though I have a hard time seeing it.


Throughout my travels, I have earned a few different African nicknames here and there, but I think this one is my favorite yet.


Me & one of our ortho kids at the Hope Center




I'd really love to keep this cute & cuddly baby


No comments: