Thursday, August 19, 2010

Leaving Togo

Well, it's hard to believe that the outreach in Togo has already come to an end! It doesn't seem so long ago that we were sailing into the port, welcomed by lots of excited Africans, singing and playing drums, grateful that we had come to their country to bring hope and healing. So much happened in the last six months...there were moments of excitement as patients looked in the mirror for the first time after surgery to see their new faces, mommas received their babies back with fixed lips and palates, and watched their children walk straight for the first time after their legs were fixed....then, there were times of tragedy, moments when I didn't understand what God was doing or why he had allowed  things to happen...there have been  lots of good times and wonderful memories, as well as heartache and the loss of good friends who have had to say goodbyes...But, through it all, God has been good...He has always proven Himself to be faithful.


The last couple days, I have been reflecting on our time in Togo and all the ways that this outreach has changed me..once again, I have fallen in love with Africa...in a deeper way than before...I just love the warm culture and the joy that radiates  from the African people...especially when they are singing and dancing to God...I love all of the TIA (this is Africa) moments when you experience something that would never happen in the Western world, but is perfectly normal  for Africa...but, most of all, I love being able to make a difference in people's lives and knowing that God has revealed Himself to a patient through me...


It's kinda crazy...we only left Togo four days ago, but I am missing it already...I find myself out  in the middle of the ocean, with Togo miles behind us...and a faint memory of the past....But, even though it has been sad to leave, I am encouraged that our time over the last 6 months has been well-spent...it has been so amazing to be a part of something that has changed so many lives...seeing the physical and spiritual changes in my patients..and in myself...God has grown me in so many ways...I've learned so much about trusting Him, serving others, dealing with conflict resolution (that's a big one when  you live in a tight community!), being a leader, and so many other things...God has definitely been refining me and showing me the areas of my life that I need Him to chip away the rough edges...which has been a humbling, but good process!

I know that South Africa will be significantly different than West Africa...but I'm excited for all that God has in store for us and I know he will continue the refining work that He has begun (Philippians 1:6)

No comments: