Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What faith can do

Well, the last month and a half has been a complete whirlwind! I knew things were going to be busy with the holidays and that my trip would come up fast, but here I am, less than a week away from my flight out! It has been amazing to see all the ways that God has brought everything together and caused everything to fall into place! I feel like God has built my faith so much, especially in the last few weeks! With all the stress of things I have to get done before I leave, it just seems like every time I'm worried about something, I just pray for it and next thing I know, God answers my prayer and it works out perfectly! I have learned a lot about praying and trusting God to come through for me!

I wish I could tell you all the stories...from God's provision for me financially in my fundraising to being able to last minute changes of plans that allowed me to see my extended family out in California when I thought I wouldn't see them at all to a hundred other little things along the way...But one instance in particular really built my faith this past week...

As many of you know, I decided a few months ago that I was going to sell my car before I left on my trip...I had gone back & forth about whether or not to sell it....I talked to a friend about it one day awhile back who was convinced that I was supposed to sell it and told him I'd pray about it...that night, I prayed "God, please just show me if I should sell it or not" and randomly opened my Bible a few minutes later to read before bed and turned to a verse in Matthew that basically said "sell your possessions and come and follow me"...pretty clear! I knew that I needed to sell it after that but didn't start trying to sell it until the first week of December...

I had a few people that I was convinced were going to buy it, but it kept falling through...then, one friend told me "oh, well, just sell it to my friend Roger..he's a good friend, I completely trust him, and he has a company that buys and sells cars so that would be an easy option." So I figured that would be the answer to my prayer...

Last tuesday, my Bible study group prayed for me for my trip and also prayed that God will help me sell my car...I was trying to trust God, but not sure how it'd work out....So then I called Roger on wednesday to find out if he'd be able to buy my car...I had high hopes...he told me he would be able to, but advised me to sell it on my own and told me he wouldn't be able to give me as much as it was worth...

So, I got off the phone with him feeling really discouraged...I was thinking "Ok, just sell it...hmm...that's what I've been trying to do for the last month and I have less than 2 weeks til I leave....what am I gonna do!" Then, me and God had a talk...this is the part where my faith wasn't as strong as it had been...I hadn't been too stressed about my car until this point...I said: "God, this is ridiculous! You tell me to sell my car and then you don't provide someone to buy it! Ok, then fine! I'm just gonna keep it!" (Yes, I know I sounded like a 5 year old that didn't get their favorite toy....what can I say...I have my weak moments too...I'm just trying to be transparent :)

But of course, I didn't have peace about that...I knew that wasn't what God wanted...but I just had no idea how I was gonna sell it without losing a lot of money on it before I left...So, I just kind of put it aside....Then, that night, I was at dinner with my friend Bridget and she was telling me a story and in the process, she told me she had gone to look at a car....I interrupted her at that point and from there the conversation went like this:

Me: wait...what? Are you looking for a car?"
Bridget: Ya, I've been looking for one...
Me: What kind of car?
Bridget: A toyota corolla
Me: Are you serious? Bridget, I'm selling my toyota corolla!! What kind are you looking for?
Bridget: The sport model
Me: Blank stare....pause...what color?
Bridget: Silver
Me: Seriously?

And the conversation went on as she asked me about all the features that my car had...and EVERY SINGLE THING she wanted, my car had!!! We both sat there in disbelief and later she told me "Wow, we're the answer to each other's prayers!"...she had been looking for a car for a few months and had been frustrated that she hadn't found the right one yet....

So, exactly a week after my Bible study group had prayed for me, Bridget bought my car and we finalized everything!! So, the burden of selling my car is now off my shoulders and it is such a relief!

I love that story because it is too much of a coincidence NOT to be from God! God is so good...He met me in the midst of my doubt (and even my childish rebellion!) and proved Himself faithful...just as he has done EVERY SINGLE TIME in the past!

A friend once told me "God won't take you out to dinner and leave you with the check"...I love that saying because it is so true....God has never asked me to do something and then fallen through...every time He calls me to do something, He is ALWAYS faithful to make it happen as long as I step out in faith...and even though my faith isn't perfect and won't be until the day I get to heaven, I know that He is growing that faith inside me every day as He continues to prove Himself to me through it all....

One of my favorite songs through this journey has reminded me of the power of faith in the One who is always faithful:


"I've seen dreams that move a mountain,
Hope that doesn't ever end, even when the sky is falling
I've seen miracles just happen
Silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new
That's what faith can do

Overcome the odds
You don't have a chance
When the world says you can't
It'll tell you that you can"

~From "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless

2 comments:

Silver Spoon Studio said...

Beautiful. God is so good. I wish you the best sweet girl. I am subscribed to your blog so I'll be keeping up with you and keeping you in my prayers. xo Diana

Anonymous said...

great post and so encouraging! I too am facing the fear/worry to prayer to God answering phases of the journey. God is faithful. I wish I could remain worryless and as faithful as He is. I'm excited for TOGO! Will keep you in my prayers