Sunday, January 13, 2008

God decides to send me on another adventure

Well, many of you were probably initially surprised to hear that I was gonna be going to Thailand as it kind of came up out of the blue....So, before my adventure begins, I wanted to tell the story of how God led me to this trip in the first place...

After returning from Kenya in October, I began to pray about some important decisions I needed to make at the end of the year....I had already been considering leaving my job at Phoenix Children's at the end to begin a travel nursing job within the United States...but, in between ending my job and beginning a travel assignment, I knew I would have a break and so I wanted to take a trip to Latin America that my friend and I had been trying to plan since the summer...

When I was in Kenya, one of the nurses on the trip had told me about her friend Kris who was also a nurse and was very involved in missions....she suggested that I email her when I got back from my trip because I had talked about going to Latin America and she thought Kris might be there when I was going down....This will be important later...

So, I got back from Kenya and found out about a week later that my trip to Latin America with my friend wasn't going to work out because she had some changes in her plans that prevented her from being able to take the trip with me....So, I was really bummed out about that because I always wanted to backpack around Latin America...

I started looking into a few different things I could do in January, but nothing really seemed to fit...I just didn't have peace about all these different options I was looking into....I was praying but didn't seem to get any answers....

About a week later, I started to notice that all of a sudden, I seemed to be hearing about Thailand wherever I went...I had 4 different people talk to me about Thailand in a variety of different settings...the people didn't know each other and had all been there for different reasons...I thought it was really strange that within a few days, I had heard from these 4 people about their experiences in Thailand...I thought maybe God was trying to get my attention and show me that He wanted me to go there...In this same few days, I had gotten sick and had to go to the Urgent Care...as I was sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor, I looked up at the wall and saw a picture of a Thai boy...underneath the picture it said "THAILAND" really big....I thought that was an odd picture to have in an urgent care room...So, I was like "Lord, this is strange...are you trying to tell me something?"

3 days later, I got an email from Kris, my friend's missionary friend...I had emailed her about 2 weeks before and hadn't heard back, so I had kind of just given up on that and didn't expect to hear back....well, it turned out she had just gotten back from Africa....she emailed me to tell me that she was going on another trip in January if I wanted to go....and of all places, where do you think the trip was? Thailand!

So, that's kind of how God led me to this trip...I had prayed that God would make it really clear and He definitely did...I guess I'm kind of like Gideon and just needed a sign to confirm God's calling....I know He doesn't always work that way, but I was grateful that He showed me so clearly!

Ever since Kris told me about this trip, things have fallen into place...one thing after another.... God definitely just put everything right into my lap and was so gracious to me...

So, now I'm heading out to Thailand in a couple of days...I will be spending the first couple of weeks teaching English at an orphanage called Agape Children's Home in a town called Mae Sot...Then I will head to another town called Chiang Mai for a medical clinic....after the clinic, Kris and I will head back to the orphanage...She and I will be teaching CPR and some other medical basics to the people who work in the orphanage...

Well, that's the story...please keep me in your prayers...God is good and I know He will continue to be faithful to me...

No comments: